Re: [Help] Please compile clustalw on architectures ia64, mips, mipsel, s390 and m68k

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:38:49PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
>> Just read the mails of these both threads and learn why we have
>> not yet autobuilders for non-free.  IMHO the main issue is that
>> "nobody really _did_ it".
>
> There are two issues at hand that explain why there is no non-free
> autobuilder:
>
> * Most people who could set up one (because they have the hardware and
>   the skillz) do not want to [...]
> * Packages in main are required to be DFSG-free
[...]
> Therefore, anyone interested in building non-free
>   would need to maintain a list of packages that do not have such
>   problematic restrictions. TTBOMK, this has not happened.

This is nothing new, it has already been discussed in the thread Andreas
referenced.

Something new would be an answer to my question whether it's acceptable
to build non-free packages on the Debian machines.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)