Re: How should we deal with 'pointless-on-this-arch' packages?

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 10/15/06 00:03, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 07:30:15PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> [snip]
>> I think it should be in the porters control what packages to
>> build for an arch with some guidelines what sort of packages can
>> be removed without loosing release status. For example removing
>> KDE would not be OK. Removal should be reserved for extreme cases
>> though. Things that just need long to build should be put into
>> weak_no_auto and limited to the stronger buildds of an arch.
>
> Why *shouldn't* KDE, GNOME, Firefox/Iceweasel, Tbird, and anything
> that requires Mesa/OpenGL, and all of Charles Plessy's scientific
> packages  be marked do_not_build on 68k/Coldfire & ARM?

Because it is perfectly fine to run kde on such a system. Anything
that can run gnome can run kde. Anything that can run X can run kde I
would even say. Kicking one alternative for something (like kde) but
not others (like gnome) should not be allowed. If the port decides
that they don't need any X, e.g. there is no hardware capable of
running X applications, then they could remove all X stuff as a
whole. That would be different from removing kde.

But I feel that X, Gnome, KDE is a big part of what makes Debian what
it is. If you remove all that is it still Debian?

Anyway, kde was just an example / a suggestion. The guidelines could
say a port must have all priority standard and above and can decide
freely on optional/extra. There is that 95% rule for official
releases. Think of this as a refinement of that rule that is more than
the line in a graph.

> If an Amiga (using the unaccelerated fb driver?) is running as an X
> Terminal for a powerful, modern box, the Amiga would need to process
> the OpenGL commands, no?

There are no amigas with unaccelerated FB driver I believe, which does
not mean the FB is all that fast though. There are also crads with 3D
hardware and even cards allowing to use PCI graphic cards,
theoretically. But I don't think there is anything actually supported
and in use capable of realtime 3D gaming. Would a Virge 3D card even
be good enough to play Tuxracer? Anything that needs realtime GL is
probably useless for m68k.

So even if you could get hardware GL working remotely m68k just
couldn't do it I think.

MfG
        Goswin