Re: Debian GNU/Minix?

Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
On 10/16/06, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh <mohsen@pahlevanzadeh.org> wrote:
HXC wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to use the Minix kernel in Debian. If
> so wouldn't that be an interesting project to release a Debian minix
> version? (just like Debian BSD and Debian Hurd :-) )

This same question has been risen before.  I bet you'd find some
answers in previous descussions.  There was an attempt announced:

http://www.braincells.com/debian/index.cgi/search/item=126

But it also specifies no help request, neither any support required.
You might want to ask Jaldhar about his progress on this.

Why Minix?Do you like kernel development?Minix just have an application
in teaching....
Of course,it's good idea....

Since minix3, that's no longer true:

http://www.minix3.org/

Quoting:

"What Is MINIX 3?
MINIX 3 is a new open-source operating system designed to be highly
reliable, flexible, and secure. It is loosely based somewhat on
previous versions of MINIX, but is fundamentally different in many key
ways. MINIX 1 and 2 were intended as teaching tools; MINIX 3 adds the
new goal of being usable as a serious system on resource-limited and
embedded computers and for applications requiring high reliability"

As you can see, it's no longer just an OS teaching tools.  To me it
sounds like the option while hurd-ng is still not converging to a
uKernel decision.

Thanks for the link! I agree with your last statement.

Another neat feature of Minix:
Another feature of this version, which will be improved in future ones, is the ability of the system to withstand device driver crashes, and in many cases having them automatically replaced without affecting running processes. In this way, MINIX is self-healing and can be used in applications demanding high reliability.