Re: how to tell people to dpkg-reconfigure exim4-_CONFIG_?

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:22:05PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Sonntag 08 Oktober 2006 22:58 schrieb James Westby:
> > The default level when doing dpkg-reconfigure is low, so that it wont be
> > seen on installation, but if the user tries to reconfigure exim4 they
> > will be directed to the correct package.
>
> The ultimate solution would be it dpkg-reconfigure magically knew that when
> configuring exim4, it must actually configure exim4-config.
>
> HS
Hi Hendrik et al,
from a perspective as a user of Debian, I expect things to make sense
and be the most intuitive(e.g. mnemonic). This would make me expect to
be able to use 'dpkg-reconfigure $PKG' to reconfigure $PKG, assuming
that there was only one way to reconfigure it, even if $PKG is virtual.
And even if it was in the README.debian, that is one more step for any
newbie, although obviously it SHOULD be done by any diligent user. I'd
propose someway of aliasing 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4' to
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' with one addition that
'dpkg-reconfigure' note somewhere what command it is actually issuing as
a 'reminder' of the actual command. I do not know where this is
implemented in the Debian infrastructure: in dpkg-reconfigure, in the
DEB package files, or some other place.
cheers,
Kev