Re: how to tell people to dpkg-reconfigure exim4-_CONFIG_?

Am Sonntag 08 Oktober 2006 22:26 schrieb Marc Haber:
> "how to reconfigure exim4" is one of the most frequently asked
> questions on #debian.
>
> The reason is that dpkg-reconfigure exim4 is a no-op since exim4 is a
> metapackage pulling in the "real" packages exim4, exim4-base,
> exim4-daemon-light/heavy/custom. The correct command to reconfigure
> exim4 is dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.
>
> I'd now like a low priority debconf note in exim4, exim4-base and the
> daemon packages which is only shown if the package is to be
> _re_configured, and tells people to dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.
>
> Is this considered debconf abuse? Is there any more elegant method to
> take this special support burden of the supporters?

/usr/share/doc/exim4/README.Debian.gz:

2. Configuration of Exim 4 in the Debian packages

   Generally, the Debian Exim 4 packages are configured through debconf.
   You have been asked some questions on package installation, and your
   initial exim configuration has been created from your answers. You can
   repeat the configuration process any time by invoking dpkg-reconfigure
   exim4-config.

I agree, the formatting could be made better to make it easier to spot with
human eyes :)

HS