Re: anticipating the upstart migration

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:43:00PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> In order to enable this change, we're facing the "To continue type
> in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'" problem because sysvinit is
> marked essential.

That's only a problem if you're going from "sysvinit only" to "upstart
only" as part of your initial dist-upgrade to etch+1.

Other options are:

    "sysvinit only" -> "sysvinit + upstart" (using alternatives/diversions)
    "sysvinit only" -> "etch+1 sysvinit only" -> "etch+1 upstart only"

I think it's really premature to be doing this though; we should be
getting upgrades (and implementation for that matter!) working right in
experimental while users get a warning, rather than testing it on people
who might not be able to cope with a broken init.

What happens if you lose power between deinstalling sysvinit and unpacking
upstart, eg?

Cheers,
aj