Re: Making SELinux standard for etch

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 07:33:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 01:04:50 +0200, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> said:
>
> > On Oct 07, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> >> The size of the .debs for targeted policy is 2185702 Bytes, and
> >> adds seven packages to the standard install.  No special
> > While I like much the idea of having solid and easy to deploy
> > selinux-related packages, I object to installing them by default
> > since they will still be disabled by default and realistically most
> > people will not use them.
>
>         Realistically, most people do not use vacation, finger, and
>  sharutils either.  Are we talking about disk usage? I am not sure
>  that the increase in disk usage is perceptible on a normal install on
>  modern (read: made in this millennium) machines.
>
>         People on low disk situations can always delete them -- none
>  of these packages is remotely essential, just remove the policy
>  package and everything goes.

I like SELinux as a part of default install.

But please make sure to use recommend or so as dependency.  This should
enable people to remove packages if they chose not to deploy SELinux.

So people can still use packages without too much changes if they
customize base install.

Is there any SELInux for dummies HOWTOs for Debian?  I do not need full
SELInux knowledges but I hope to use some easy to use features for extra
safety.

Osamu