Re: stale lock files

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 06:56:03PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 23 septembre 2006 à 10:33 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow a
> > What do you do on fuse, afs, coda, oracle fs, lustrefs? Do they all
> > have fcntl?
>
> AFAIK, afs, fuse and ocfs2 have (although recently introduced) posix
> locking support.

fuse is an API to implement file systems; it's not a file system by
itself. It is entirely possible to create a file system using fuse that
does not support locking.

> Lustre users get what they pay for, and I don't know
> for coda.

I don't know whether coda supports locking, either; but from what I hear
about it, even if it didn't support it and an application which assumes
it does totally corrupts everything on the disk, you probably wouldn't
notice the difference from it having locking anyway due to the "quality"
of the code.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22