Re: new mplayer

Hello!

Cc:ing directly Andrea and Dariush (the Debian maintainer) to be sure
they read my post, hope you don't mind.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:36:16 +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> I prepared a new mplayer (with help from  Diego Biurrun of the
> mplayer team)

From the package description:
====
Mplayer is a movie player for LINUX.
.
NOTE: the .tar.gz distributed with Debian does not contain all of the upstream
code. Read README.Debian and copyright for details.
.
MPlayer plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI, OGG/OGM, VIVO,
ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, yuv4mpeg, FILM, RoQ, PVA files,
supported by many native, XAnim, RealPlayer, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can
watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, RealMedia, and DivX movies too.
.
Another big feature of MPlayer is the wide range of supported output
drivers.  It works with X11, Xv, DGA, OpenGL, SVGAlib, fbdev,
AAlib(*), DirectFB, but you can also use SDL and GGI(*) (and this way
all their drivers) and some lowlevel card-specific drivers (for
Matrox, 3Dfx and Radeon, Mach64, Permedia3) too!  Most of them
supports software or hardware scaling, so you can enjoy movies in
fullscreen.  MPlayer supports also displaying through some hardware MPEG
decoder boards, such as the DVB and DXR3/Hollywood+.
(*) GGI and  AAlib are not currently compiled by default.
=====

Some hints:

1) please add the upstream homepage at the end, as per the Developer
   Reference paragraph 6.2.4 [1], like
   =====
   [...]
   (*) GGI and  AAlib are not currently compiled by default.
   .
    Homepage: http://www.mplayerhq.hu
   =====

2) the second paragraph could be better wrapped, especially compared
   to the third one
   =====
   .
   MPlayer plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI, OGG/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV,
   QT/MOV/MP4, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, yuv4mpeg, FILM, RoQ, PVA files,
   supported by many native, XAnim, RealPlayer, and Win32 DLL codecs.
   You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, RealMedia, and DivX movies too.
   =====

3) I'd put the NOTE paragraph at the end of the description, but AFAIK
   there's no consensus on this as I could see from the output of
   `grep-aptavail -FDescription NOTE`

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes: