Re: gcc-4.1 [gfdl] documentation packages for non-free

"Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@debian.org> writes:

> I'm one of those people beaten by recent removal of gcc
> documentation. Both myself and people to whom I recommend Debian,
> *need* gcc documentation to be available in the system.

The FSF agree with your position.

    <URL:http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-doc.html>

> So I had four options:
> - start a new flamewar on the issue,
> - stop to use Debian (and to recomment it),
> - install documentation in non-package form,
> - create appropriate documentation debs (for non-free).

Your situation is the same as any DD who finds the software they want
to package is licensed incompatibly with the DFSG. You can ask
politely but firmly for the software to be licensed so that Debian can
include it.

> Since I'm a DD, the only real option for me was the last one.

Fortunately, packaging the documentation for non-free isn't
incompatible with continuing to ask the copyright holder for a free
license.

> I've created gcc-4.1-doc-non-dfsg package, intended for non-free.

Thank you for your work!

--
 \        "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."  -- |
  `\                                                     Pablo Picasso |