Re: preconfiguration fails, versioned dependency not satisfied

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 12:17:18PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I have a problem without a clear solution. mdadm uses debconf-escape
> in it's debconf config file and declares a dependency on debconf (>=
> 1.4.72), as that command is only available from that version on.

> The problem is that apt-preconfigure runs long before APT even
> worries about satisfying the versioned dependency on debconf.
> Therefore, the configuration fails:

>   /tmp/mdadm.config.29435: line 1: debconf-escape: command not found

> I see two solutions, but I don't know which one to use:

>   - implement my own debconf-escape and use it if the command is not
>     available
>   - pre-depend on debconf. I am not sure whether this is actually
>     going to cut the mustard.

> Any advice?

A pre-depend is not sufficient to ensure a package's availability when
apt-preconfigure is run.  You must write your debconf .config script to fail
gracefully in the absence of any non-essential packages (+ previous stable
version of debconf).

Writing your own debconf-escape is one option, another is to exit the
.config script if debconf-escape is unavailable, deferring configuration
until the postinst.