Re: Manpages in language-specific packages

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 12:46:19PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm adopting liblingua-es-numeros-perl, a Perl module for translating
> numbers into their Spanish string representation. One of the first
> things I noticed is that the manpage is completely (and only) written
> in Spanish. So, besides sending any changes I do to the upstream
> author (although the module looks unmaintained, with only version 0.01
> existing since 2001), what would be wisest?

Translate the manpage to English, distribute that in /usr/share/man/man[1-9]
and put the Spanish manpage at /usr/share/man/es/man[1-9] (where it should
be). That way non-Spanish users installing the program will have a manual
page and Spanish users will be able to read it properly (if their locale is
configured properly)

> - I18N in manpages? Sorry, haven't been there, haven't done that

It's not that difficult, just put the (english) manpage in /usr/share/man/
and the i18n manpage in /usr/share/man/XX. Man takes care of the rest.

Regards

Javier