Re: gnome 1 packages up for adoption

reassign 385417 ftp.debian.org
retitle 385417 RM: gwrapguile -- RoQA; orphaned, obsolete library
thanks

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 02:30:42PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2006-05-27 15:39]:
> > > I have been maintaining the following gnome-1 support packages:
> > >   bonobo gal0.x gnome-libs gnome-print gtkhtml gwrapguile imlib
> > >   libcapplet libglade oaf
> > gwrapguile and gtkhtml have no reverse-dependencies in Debian except for
> > gnucash.
>
> So they can be removed now?  We have:
> #385417 O: gwrapguile

This one definitely can be; reassigned.

> #369133 O: gtkhtml

> > python-gnome has a build-dependency on libgtkhtml-dev which
> > should be trivially removable since none of its binary packages use it.

> libgtk-perl also build-depends on it.  Bart, is that still needed?

Hmm, this seems to be a regression even -- libgtkhtml-perl didn't exist at
all in sarge, but has been added since, making the spurious build-dependency
real(!).  I think that should be reversed, is there really a reason to add a
new perl binding for an already-orphaned GNOME 1 lib with no other
reverse-deps, when that perl binding also has no reverse-deps?  I certainly
don't think so.  Bart, you commented in bug #110849 about not being
comfortable with removing binary packages, but this one has been re-added,
without AFAICS any real user demand.

> > and several other chains of packages also look like we should
> > consider removing them once the above-mentioned packages are gone.

> Maybe someone can look into this.

Hmm, I've looked over the packages mentioned above, and none of the others
seem to be removable.  I think someone's been sneaking new GNOME1 packages
into the archive when I wasn't looking. :)

libcapplet is closest, only python-gnome-1.2 as a reverse-dep after the
other libs we can remove are removed.  python-gnome-1.2 is QA-maintained as
well.

Cheers,