Re: ITP: adun.app -- a Molecular Simulator

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:12:04 -0400, Daniel Dickinson <cshore@wightman.ca> said:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:24:21PM +1000, Steffen Joeris wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> > * Package name : adun.app
>> Maybe I miss some essential parts, but I always wonder why some
>> people add a .app to the software name? Can you please give me a
>> short explanation or point me to a previous thread?

> IIRC .app is usually used by apps with gnustep support (e.g. WindowMaker
> dockapps). It doesn't normally mean they only work on gnustep though,
> just that they use some features from gnustep, when available.

To clarify, ".app" is generally used by GNUstep programs, and for some
dockapps.  Dockapps that are not written specifically for GNUstep don't
use GNUstep features at all, and those that use GNUstep features rely on
GNUstep.  I am not aware of any that don't rely on GNUstep, but that use
GNUstep features when present.

There seems to be only a handful of dockapps that use ".app", though, so
if you see a package that says ".app", chances are that it's a GNUstep
program.  And nearly all GNUstep programs say ".app".

The ".app" comes from the NeXT nomenclature of programs.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)