One non-DD's thoughts on dfsg-freeness and firmware

I know previously I said I thought that firmware didn't matter for
freeness, but I've been convinced by the arguments here that I was
wrong.  Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that as a user (who
hopes to get time to contribute, maybe even eventually as a DD), that
I chose Debian because of the Social Contract, and DFSG-freeness.  I
would rather have to watch what hardware I by then lose the benefits
of software freedom.  For me the whole point of free software is not
that I can download it free of charge, but that I can change it, or
hire someone to do so, rather than depending on the good will (or same
interests), of some large monopolistic corporation.

Software freedom is about choice.  That said, there are definite areas
that need improvement, and which, for many users, overshadow the
ideals of software freedom.  I will soon be facing a tough choice
between what I value about Debian, and the likely fact of another
distribution being selected as the local LUG standard (the objective
of having a standard distro is to make support after an installfest
more likely and more effective) because of concerns about easy of use,
especially for new users.

Cheers,

Daniel

-- GnuPG Key Fingerprint 86 F5 81 A5 D4 2E 1F 1C http://gnupg.org And
that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early, now
I have the rest of the afternoon to sniff fragrant tea-roses or
strangle cute bunnies or something.  -- Michael Devore