Re: Quickcam pro 4000, pwc problem

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 02:45:38PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:

> Can anyone explain the official Debian set up for pwc based web cams?

  ..

> The only Debian package for pwc is pwc-source .  According to the copyright
> information fro this package:

  I've got one of these devices and found it similarly tricky to start
 with.  When I use the pwc module included in the standard Debian kernel
 images I just see a blank grey rectangle when using
 camgrab/camstream/etc.

  Ultimately I got it working by :

  1.  Removing any existing pwc module from the debian-supplied kernel:

    find /lib/modules -name 'pwc.*' -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
    rmmod pwc

  2.  Setting up module-assistant:

    apt-get install module-assistant
    m-a prepare

  3.  Downloading and building the external sources:

    apt-get install pwc-source
    m-a build pwc-source

  4.  Installing the built module:

    m-a install pwc-source
    depmod -a
    modprobe pwc

  5.  Working with it :
    apt-get install camstream && camstream

  You say you've built the module?  I might guess that even after
  building it you're using the "old" module...?

Steve