heimdal & KCM

Hello,

I have been requested to add KCM to the Debian packages - see bug #379245.

Based on my limited understanding, KCM is a system wide daemon that
keeps track of user's Kerberos tickets, in memory, so they don't need
to be stored in /tmp.

This presumably means an /etc/init.d/* script will be required to
start the daemon at boot.

I have several options, and I am not sure which one to use:

* include it in heimdal-servers.
  Pros: It is a server, natural choice.
  Cons: heimdal-servers conflicts with many other packages.

* include it in heimdal-clients.
  Pros: presumably everyone who installs heimdal-clients will probably
  want KCM, as it appears to be so much better then using /tmp.
  Might make it easier to have Debian package use KCM by default.
  Cons: ???

* create heimdal-kcm package.
  Pros: very flexible.
  Cons: users may not realise it exists.

I haven't investigated yet how to make KCM be used by default (I think
standard upstream might require setting an environment variable).

I am also not aware if KCM breaks compatibility with the MIT Kerberos
libraries or not.

Any suggestions?

This is something I would like to get right first go ;-).

Thanks.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>