Re: Why no /usr/local/etc in Debian?

David Bruce wrote:

> I am the fledgling upstream maintainer of Bill Kendrick's game "Tux, Of Math
> Command" aka Tuxmath.  I have been working on making the program more
> configurable, and it now reads and writes config files.  The generic
> (non-Debianized) "make install" target puts the program under /usr/local.
> From my reading of the FHS, /usr/local should have its own etc for
> configuration of locally-installed software.  My /usr/local (Sid) has all of
> the other subdirectories listed in the FHS, but no /usr/local/etc.
>
> 1.  Would it be impolite for the makefile for my program to simply go ahead
> and create /usr/local/etc?

IMO you should go ahead.  Ideally of course your ./configure script or
Makefile should respect the local admin's choice of sysconfdir (to be
set to /etc or wherever), e.g. via ./configure --sysconfdir=<whatever>

> 2.  Shouldn't Debian systems already have this directory to be FHS-compliant?

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY

indicates that you are correct.  A base install of Sid (judging from my
pbuilder tarball) includes all of the items that the FHS requires in
/usr/local except for /usr/local/etc.  I suggest you file a severity
"serious" bug against the base-files package, since it is responsible
for creating the directories under /usr/local in its postinst.  The
serious severity is justified IMO since the existence of /usr/local/etc
is a "must" directive of the FHS.  (Any arguments?)

best regards,