Re: Why no /usr/local/etc in Debian?

hi david,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:03:02AM -0400, David Bruce wrote:
> 1.  Would it be impolite for the makefile for my program to simply go ahead
> and create /usr/local/etc?

i don't think it would be appropriate for a debian package to ship a
/usr/local/etc directory, since configuration for debian packages should
go in /etc.

if we're talking about downloaded and locally compiled 3rd party
software, many of such projects do create such a directory (autofoo
using programs with take a --prefix, for example).  it's the admin's
decision on whether to place configuration for such programs in
this directory, or whether to modify the program to place the
configuration elsewhere.

> 2.  Shouldn't Debian systems already have this directory to be FHS-compliant?

the point of /usr/local is that it's a directory under which the admin
can (in addition to other things), put in plugins/libraries/programs
that override what might otherwise be a default behaviour of the
packaged software.  there's no point in providing a place for them
to override configuration settings, since they are the ones providing
the configuration in the first place.

	sean