Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

Em Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:58:53 +0900
Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> escreveu:

> Maybe a way to solve the problem would be to make clear in the package
> name, documentation and popup messages that it is not a native Debian
> tool?  For instance, it could be called "Ubuntu update notifier for
> Debian".

That sounds a bit awkward to me...

> In the end, it seems to me that the problem is more that the tool has
> a name made only with dictionary words, which suggest that it is *the*
> tool to use. In the future, there may be more update notifiers, each
> with its own policy about when to reboot, when to relog, and so on,
> and "update-notifier" would have an advantage over the others, which
> is unfortunate because of the bad practices it promotes as you
> pointed out.

Actually, policy for 'when to reboot' would be done by packages. Since
no packages run the 'notify-reboot-required' script today, the message
would never show up.

We could adopt the policy of only displaying the message on kernel
upgrades, for example.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>