Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

Em Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:26:51 -0500
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> escreveu:

> I understand that this tool may be aimed at those that don't have a
> great deal of experience, but I think that you are presenting
> misleading information to everyone.

Exactly.

> To say that any library fixing security problems will require a reboot
> is outrageous.  It is quite possible to restart any impacted services
> instead.  You're second-guessing the administrator's judgment.

Not really; if the machine does have an 'administrator':

 1) they would probably be using their own methods of keeping software
    up-to-date
 2) they'd know when to reboot, and would ignore the message (that's
    what I'd do)

> If you were to call this a *suggested reboot*, with text that states
> that a person could also achieve the desired effect by simply
> restarting certain processes, I'd have no problem with it.

Even with those arguments in mind, do you have a suggested text that
would still be good for beginners?

> I like the idea of this program, but this particular thing gives me
> the impression that Debian is regressing to something that's no
> better than Windows Update under Windows 98.

It will not be disturbing you every once in a while, like windows
update, heh.

So, again, notice that if a machine is on a network administered
centrally or has an 'administrator' for some other reason, there would
be no real need for update-notifier to be even installed, so I'd like to
focus here on end-user desktops, only.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>