Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 08:29:13PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

> The first feature is useful for those packages which are critical, and
> which really want a reboot after upgrade, such as kernel, perhaps libc,
> and any library or package fixing security problems. These simply need
> to run /usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required (which will
> touch /var/run/reboot-required) on postinst, and a notification will
> appear to the user at his desktop telling them that a reboot is
> required, and allowing them after the package manager is done "applying
> changes".

I think this is, at best, misleading.  The kernel is really the only
thing that absolutely requires a reboot.  Users can deal with the rest
themselves, mostly.

I understand that this tool may be aimed at those that don't have a
great deal of experience, but I think that you are presenting misleading
information to everyone.

To say that any library fixing security problems will require a reboot
is outrageous.  It is quite possible to restart any impacted services
instead.  You're second-guessing the administrator's judgment.

If you were to call this a *suggested reboot*, with text that states
that a person could also achieve the desired effect by simply restarting
certain processes, I'd have no problem with it.

I like the idea of this program, but this particular thing gives me the
impression that Debian is regressing to something that's no better than
Windows Update under Windows 98.

-- John