Re: dpkg doing wrong math (0.09 = 0.9) ?-

* Michael Biebl:

> So, what should I do now:
> 1.) Wait for a 0.10 release. I think my users wouldn't be happy ;-)
> 2.) Use an epoch.
> 3.) File a bug report against dpkg.

2) is the typical approach.

> If it's not a bug in dpkg, could someone please elaborate on the
> reasoning of this behaviour.

"." is not special as far as version numbers are concerned.  It's not
a separator, for instance, and "1." is a valid version number (which
is equal to "1.0").

We need a total ordering of version strings, and any approach is
arbitrary to some degree because we don't want to use purely
lexicographic comparison (otherwise, "9.x" would be greater than
"10.x", which is clearly counterintuitive).  There are upstream
version number schemes for which the Policy algorithm works perfectly
well (1.01, 1.02, ..., 1.09, 1.10, ...) and others where it doesn't.