udev vs ldap at startup

Hello,

I found my debian/testing computer was hanging on startup. udev was
trying to contact LDAP (via NSS), but LDAP wasn't configured yet.

After much trial and error I came up with:

root@margay:~# tethereal  -r /root/tethereal  -V | grep Filter:
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(cn=nvram))
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=tss))
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(cn=tss))
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(cn=fuse))
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(cn=rdma))
        Filter: (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(cn=rdma))

All of these users and groups mentioned in
/etc/udev/permissions.rules, but none of these users or groups exist
in /etc/passwd or /etc/group. So NSS naturally tried resolving them
using LDAP (the second preference listed in /etc/nsswitch.conf).

Is this a bug in Debian, or a sign of something weird (and perhaps
ancient history) on my computer?

What should be creating the above users/groups?

Could udevd be changed to make debugging these issues easier,
e.g. maybe some sort of verbose mode?

Should I file any bug reports, if so what packages?

Thanks.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>