Re: centralized bzr (Re: Successful and unsuccessful Debian development tools)

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 09:56 +1000, Brian May wrote:

> For documentation on checkouts and bound branches, see
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/CheckoutTutorial
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrUsingBoundBranches
>
> However, I am not convinced the following paragraph in the first
> page is correct:
>
> "Getting a checkout is generally faster than making a copy of a
> branch. The catch though is that whenever the checkout needs to look
> at the RCS data it will do so by accessing the branch. This holds true
> even if the branch is on some distant network that you accessed over
> the internet."

Yes, thats bogus. Getting a heavyweight checkout is identical to getting
a new branch. Getting a lightweight one *may* be cheaper, depending on
how much history is needed to reconstruct file versions.

> To me, this sounds like it might be talking about a "lightweight
> checkout", as I believe a checkout is a complete copy of the branch,
> and network access is only required for commits or updates. "Bound
> branches in bzr take the place of remote 'checkouts' in systems like
> CVS or SVN and we refer to them as 'checkouts'. (bzr also supports
> "lightweight checkouts", which are like local checkouts, and aren't
> branches at all.)"
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny?

A checkout --lightweight over the net is currently not a good thing to
do. When the smart server is released, that will be about the same
performance as traditional client-server vcs's like CVS or SVN.

> My central dislike of bzr is bugs like:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/380412
> https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/54253
>
> ...which unfortunately makes it unusable for some of my applications.

Are you doing conversions from SVN? Current bzr uses 20MB of ram to do a
native branch operation in similar circumstances. (bug report gets
fixed, new at 11 :)).

0.9RC1 is out, and 0.9 will be out Monday/Tuesdau. As soon as that lands
in debian the bug should be closed.

Rob