Re: Successful and unsuccessful Debian development tools

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:44:19PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> [2006.08.01.0005 +0100]:
> > Subversion, in conjunction with alioth, has risen dramatically in
> > Debian to accomodate team-based maintainance. There are of course
> > plenty of challengers, but subversion seems to beat them all.
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why subversion beats them
> all, in your perception.

The idea of it beating the others isn't to say that it's better or worse,
simply more popular. I think this is largely to do with familiarity
(similarity to CVS) and integration in to alioth.

If you look at the major teams in Debian, svn seems to be very high
profile. The XSF, Gnome, KDE, and kernel teams all use svn for example.
That's not to say that the other options aren't great (I'm seriously
interested in setting up git.debian.org for XSF work, for example*), but svn
is very popular.

 - David Nusinow

* If anyone else is interested in this, contact me and we'll talk