Re: Successful and unsuccessful Debian development tools

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:31:26PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Pierre Machard <pmachard@debian.org> [2006.08.01.1501 +0100]:
> > snapshot.debian.net (still not-official but very usefull
>
> This is very interesting, especially in the light of version control
> for packaging -- which could also make packages from the past
> accessible.
>
> Could you give me some insights, please, into how snapshot.d.n is
> useful? Don't get me wrong, I also find it useful, but mostly from
> the administrator perspective, I've not really used it as
> a developer.

I find it helpful when backporting.  For example, back when package foo
went from version 2.1-3 to 2.1-4, the dependency on package bar was
changed from version 1.16 to 1.29.  It can be instructive to look at the
old versions of the packages to see what has changed.  This is not
"official" development since backports are not officially supported, but
I know I occasionally backport packages for my own use.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto