Re: package ownership in Debian

<gustavorfranco@gmail.com> said:
> > On 7/31/06, Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:00:21 +0000, "Gustavo Franco"
> >> <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> said:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Why?
> >
> > Due to the "my stuff, don't touch that!" current approach, but (again)
> > this is just IMHO.
>
> I disagree with that.  (IMHO) I think that the "my stuff" approach has
> more to do with maintainer attitude than with NMU rules.  I don't think
> that loosening the NMU rules will decrease the maintainers'
> possessiveness.  The current rules already authorized all DDs to make
> NMUs, if you follow the procedures.  And if you follow the current NMU
> rules, then the entire process will take, what, a couple of weeks?

IMHO the maintainer(s) could mention their wishes wrt to NMU and any
particular package in debian/copyright, right after
This package was debianized by ...
When needed NMU is appreciated/forbidden/whatever

That will help to avoid some confusion, when people are in doubt wrt "to NMU
or not to NMU".

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB