Re: Why does Ubuntu have all the ideas?

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:49:07AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:58:15PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:38:23AM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> > > For one, Debian and Ubuntu aren't in competition, [...]
> > When Ubuntu leads to users having ideas like the one in the parent post,
> > this is manifestly false.
> Rather than blaming Ubuntu, it's more constructive to educate the user
> community about the (useful) role that derivatives play.

Personally, I think it's fair to say Debian and Ubuntu are in
"competition" in some areas, and I don't think it's something to be
ashamed of on either side. Why shouldn't Ubuntu and Debian compete with
each other to better serve their users, both actual and potential? As
long as it's done in a cooperative manner, and with both of us willing to
share our successes with each other and learn from each others mistakes,
how is a bit of friendly competition anything but a good thing?

For comparison, debootstrap and cdebootstrap are "competing"
implementations of the same idea, and both try to win over users by
doing the same job better, according to various criteria. I don't think
cdebootstrap would've existed without debootstrap, and debootstrap's
certainly benefited from copying some of the features cdebootstrap has. I
think there's room enough for that sort of competition in Debian, and I
think there's room enough for derivatives to try competing with official
Debian releases in various manners too.

Cheers,
aj