Two versions of pan in etch?

Hello,

Pan[0] is currently undergoing a major rewrite, and being the maintainer, I am
currently considering what version of pan to include in etch. This mail[1] from
one of the pan mailing lists sums up the situation quite nicely.

Essentially, what it boils down to is this: Would it be prudent to include two
separate versions of pan in etch (perhaps named pan and pan2)? The rewrite has
been in Debian experimental for some time now, and it has definite advantages
over the old one, whereas the old one has stability and feature completeness
going for it.

A few google searches didn't yield any obvious precedents that I could spot, so
I would appreciate your input.

[0] http://pan.rebelbase.com/
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-07/msg00158.html

--
Søren O.

"Oh, bother" said the Borg, "we've assimilated Pooh".