Status of iproute package for Etch

Hi,

[ I thought to post that message to Alexander Wirt but I don't like
  to send private mail to people before previous agreement ]

Default kernel in Etch will be 2.6.17 but the iproute package for now
is 20051007 version.

For new kernels there are new upstream releases at:
http://developer.osdl.org/dev/iproute2/download/ and they are named as
iproute2-kernel.version-releasedate

I made deb package of iproute2-2.6.15-060110 with some patches which
Stex (aka Stefano Melchior <stefano.melchior@openlabs.it> ) made for
some older version of iproute2. It works but I'm not sure if it is
lintian clean. I'm ready to help as much as I can to move on.

What should be done to got new version of iproute in Etch?
Alexander?