Re: Challenge: Binary free uploading

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:42:18PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 08:14:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > For starters, we'd need a *lot* of hardware to be able to do all these
> > builds. Many of them will fail, because there *will* be people who will
> > neglect to test their builds, and they will hog the machine so that
> > other people (who do test properly) have to wait a long time for their
> > build to happen.
>
> As it stands, I don't think this would be a shared service; but rather
> something people setup on their own -- so you edit on your laptop, commit
> to your server, and have the build happen remotely so you don't hear the
> disk grind, or have your load average increase while you're busy trying
> to play armagetron... It could be shared for team maintained things like
> the X packages, but at least initially, I wouldn't think that would be
> worth worrying about.

Oh, that way. Hrm, that might work.

> That's also why I lean towards pbuilder instead of sbuild -- sbuild is
> great for building lots of packages continually; but pbuilder's better for
> setting up quickly and easily without having to put much thought into it.

Don't have much of an argument there.

> My guess would be that it ought to be possible to hack up a pretty simple
> shell script that does this usefully, then build on it from there.

Actually, I don't think it would be very hard to modify buildd to be
able to run pbuilder instead of sbuild. I would have to check, though.

(and no, I'm not volunteering to do this -- sbuild works okayish for me,
and I have more than enough to do as it is :)

--
Fun will now commence