Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:04:14PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 11:57:50AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Additionally, it puzzles me how you think a maintainer will be able to
> > accurately predict how much RAM a certain build is going to use. There
> > are so many variables, that I think anything but 'this is the fastest
> > way to build it on my machine' is going to be unfeasible.
>
> Let's say:
> program X consist of a number of C files; it seems like compiling
> every file takes around 24MB,

In the maintainer's environment... yes, we're all running Debian
Unstable to do our builds, but that's not enough to be sure that the
build needs indeed so and so much RAM. For examle, you may be using
ccache, or you may be doing stuff on an architecture which just happens
to allocate 64 bits for a pointer instead of 32. Or the buildd may have
just finished the compiler transition while you're a few days outdated
on your local unstable chroot.

Like I said, there's just too many variables. Also, I wouldn't be
interested in figuring out how much RAM the build takes if I were to
maintain a package like, say, X or so.

You're not convincing me that you can indeed accurately predict for
every compiled language out there how much RAM you're going to need
during the build. Before you've proven that this is indeed possible, I
don't think there's much point in this whole exercise; otherwise there
*is* going to be a problem with you overloading build machines, and you
*will* get bugs filed about that (from me, at the very least).

--
Fun will now commence