Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:04:14 +0200, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> said:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 11:57:50AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> Additionally, it puzzles me how you think a maintainer will be able
>> to accurately predict how much RAM a certain build is going to
>> use. There are so many variables, that I think anything but 'this is
>> the fastest way to build it on my machine' is going to be unfeasible.

> Let's say: program X consist of a number of C files; it seems like
> compiling every file takes around 24MB, with the final link taking
> much more[1].  I guess this can be called typical, in C you need to
> store just the current file and the headers you use.

But the amount of RAM taken depends on many factors, such as (just off
the top of my head) architecture, compiler, the libraries used.  (e.g. I
have a package that builds fine in my sid pbuilder on my 128MB box, but
it eats memory like crazy in my sarge pbuilder on the same box, AFAIK
mostly due to the older compiler.)

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)