Re: ITP: openwatcom -- C/C++ compiler and IDE that produce efficient, portable code

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 06:50:07PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 06:17:20PM -0400, Jason Spiro wrote:
> [snip]
> > the moment you use openwatcom to compile any work-related piece
> > of software (thus not "Personal Use"), you need to make the
> > source of openwatcom publicly available for 12 months.
>
> Why is "I must make available the compiler's source code"
> problematic?  It follows in the spirit of that clause of the GPL
> which says that if you distribute binaries, you must make the source
> code available.  By extending it to the compiler, you ensure that
> the possibly-modified cc will be available to recreate the executable.

It's not limited to modified versions, it's not limited to distribution
(only use), it's public distribution (not just "to those you made the binary
available to"), and it's for a period of time far exceeding that of the
distribution.

- Matt