Re: Dropping indirect dependencies from libgnutls-config --libs

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Andreas Metzler said:
>> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> [making foo-config a wrapper around pkg-config]

>> > If you started using pkg-config you'd have introduced a
>> > build dependancy on a GPL'd program in a BSD licenced package, not
>> > exactly a good idea.
>> [...]
>> That is something I hadn't thought about, gnutls is LGPL. Thanks.

> I'm not sure how that's a real problem.  Can you explain?

Hello,
I think it would not be nice if funky-license packageX suddenly had a
indirect build-depency on GPL software, simply because it is using the
standard autoconf test.

I agree that imho this is no real license issue ("oops, we suddenly would
not be able to distribute x and y") but it just looks strange if
linking suddenly requires installation of external GPL software.

> It's not like
> you're proposing to link against libpkgconfig, even if such a thing
> existed.  You already provide .la files, right?
[...]

I ship .la files /allowing/ using of libtool. Switching the *standard*
test is different imho.
   cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute