Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:38:51PM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> I don't think it's good to define an opt-out variable (*_NON_PARALLEL).
> Think positive! So, it would be better to define DEB_MAKE_PARALLEL, but even
> better it would be to use something existing: CONCURRENCY_LEVEL as Don
> Amstrong suggests.
> If this variable exists (e.g. if [ -z CONCURRENCY_LEVEL ]) the maintainer
> can make use of -jX.
>
> Keep in mind that there are archs that don't have that much resources to
> build in parallel, and I'm not thinking of m68k. M68k has buildds with 512M
> RAM, but for example armeb which has only 32M.

Ok, so let's try some actual code.
I've used my usual playground: package "kbtin" on mentors.debian.net

Take a look at the marked ###\\\### box:

If CONCURRENCY_LEVEL is set, it will be used if it looks plausible.
If it's not there, it will be set to 2 if the box has at least 128MB
memory.

If any problem happens, the build continues with make -j 1.

How do you like this, Ingo?

Cheers and schtuff,
--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be