Re: make -j in Debian packages

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:17:27AM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi>
>
> > If package maintainer wants to build it faster on their own machine, I
> > would imagine that checking for an environment variable (DEB_MAKE_OPTS
> > or something, perhaps?) and using that would be the way to go. By
> > default, build with a single processor.
>
> If I understand the problem correctly, it is not even necessary to
> modify debian/rules to get this behavior. If the interdependencies
> are properly declared,
>
> $ debian/rules -j42 binary
>
> should do the trick, as GNU make is smart enough to pass the option
> down to sub-makes that it starts.

Yes and no.

* It only works if debian/rules calls make as `$(MAKE)'; not if it calls
  it as `make' or even `/usr/bin/make'. In the latter case, it just
  considers it some random program (rather than a sub-make) and will not
  pass the flags it received down to it.
* It only works if the build system of the package does indeed use GNU
  make, and not something else, like pmake, smake, or SCons.

--
Fun will now commence