Re: Move to python 2.4 / Changing the packaging style for python packages

Mike Hommey writes:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:09:15AM +0200, Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Mike Hommey writes:
> > > Anyways, there would be a problem with python native extensions linked
> > > against libpython. They would get the shlib dependencies on python2.x
> > > packages.
> >
> > So at least we can find these and fix them.
>
> What is so wrong about linking to libpython ? Is that because the
> interpreter isn't linked against the lib ?

Most likely this comes from the Windows world, where the extensions
are required to link against pythonXX.dll.  Looking at the code for
extensions like in sqlrelay or graphviz I don't see any need that the
extension is linked against the python library.

  Matthias