Re: Kernel bootsplash without recompiling

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> I don't like the fact that I need to recompile the kernel to get a
> bootsplash. I don't ask for a bootsplash by default, but I would like a
> way to enable it with a standard kernel.

 Ubuntu starts Linux with a framebuffer atop of the VGA16 video driver
 and uses usplash in initrd and during system boot to display a boot
 splash screen.  This doesn't need any kernel patch, but might require
 CONFIG_VGA16 to be in the kernel and not as a module.

 In my experience, the VGA16 FB didn't cause any problem, while using
 other drivers was quite risky on configurations running Xorg (garbled
 console when switching from X to tty[1-8]).

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>