Re: Move to python 2.4 / Changing the packaging style for python packages

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:59:58PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > AFAIR, a package
> > should not have to depend on python2.3 and python2.4; instead, applications
> > that need a specific version of the interpreter should depend on it
> > themselves.

> I hope that it will be possible for such apps to do it without
> specifying which version exactly (by declaring an appropriately
> versioned dependency on python).

If they call /usr/bin/python as the interpreter, yes, they should depend on
python of some version.  If they call /usr/bin/python2.x as the interpreter
(which is discouraged), then they must depend on the corresponding python2.x
package.

This isn't new as far as python policy goes, it's just poorly adhered to by
the packages currently in the archive.