Re: Conflict field for logical conflicts?

Hi,

Jörg Sommer wrote:
> should I set in package jed a conflict on a package jed-extra if
> jed-extra enhances jed, but jed has changed its API and now jed-extra is
> useless, i.e. it must be updated. jed-extra and jed can be installed at
> the same time without harm, but jed-extra does not enhance jed anymore,
> because it's not (directly) accessable from jed.
>
> It's like a new API in firefox and the firefox-webdeveloper extension.
> Should firefox declare a conflict on all extensions if the API changes or
> is this a problem of the extension package?
>
> Should an entry in the conflict field describe such a logical conflict or
> only a conflict on the package/library level which prevents the packages
> can't be installed?

AIUI it's a problem with jed-extra and should be solved there. I suggest to
update jed-extra to the new jed API or at least file a bug requesting this
update.

The thing you tried to express in jed's dependencies could be expressed
easier and more correctly in jed-extra's dependencies:

Depends: jed (<= ${last_compatible_version})

Yours
  Micha