Re: mystery of dh_installdirs

Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> Hi all, I got an FTBFS bug yesterday;
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:13:53 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
>> Package: lynx-cur
>> Version: 2.8.6dev18-1
>> Severity: serious
>> There was an error while trying to autobuild your package:
>>> install -m 755 debian/lynx /build/buildd/lynx-cur-2.8.6dev18/debian/lynx-cur-wrapper/usr/bin/lynx-cur
>>> install: cannot create regular file `/build/buildd/lynx-cur-2.8.6dev18/debian/lynx-cur-wrapper/usr/bin/lynx-cur': No such file or directory
> My guess is, it would be necessary to add "-A" like
> dh_installdirs -A in rules' install target.
> (there are two packages, lynx-cur which is architecture dependent
> and lynx-cur-wrapper which is independent)
Yes. Or -plynx-cur-wrapper
> But I couldn't understand why there was no problem on my machine
> but there was on buildd.
Your machine built both the arch-independent and arch-dependent targets,
the buildd only builds arch-dependent. (For your source, pbuilder build
lynx-cur_2.8.6dev18-1.dsc succeeds, but pbuilder build --binary-arch
lynx-cur_2.8.6dev18-1.dsc fails.)

Since debhelper acts on the first package by default, it doesn't happen
for lynx-cur-wrapper, and you include parts of the building of
lynx-cur-wrapper in your rules. You may want to consider splitting build
and install into build/install-indep/dep to minimize the work of the
systems building only the arch-dependent package.
> Please enlighten me.
> Thanks in advance,			2006-6-9(Fri)
Happy to help,