Re: severities of blocking bugs

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:41:34AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > When you make a wishlist bug RC, you are by definition forcing someone
> > else to spend time on it, either to fix it or play BTS ping pong with
> > you, since their package doesn't need to be kept out of the next stable
> > release over a wishlist bug.

> The maintainer agrees that it's an important bug, not a wishlist bug.
> So let's not pretend that it's wishlist; it's not.

> In fact, fixing this bug has already been said by the release team is
> a release goal for etch.  So, at least in that sense, it *is* release
> critical.

No, release-critical bugs are, by definition, those that we will not
release etch without resolving.  Release goals are things that the
release team believes *should* be resolved for etch, to the point of
encouraging a relaxed NMU policy for packages related to these goals,
but they are not automatically bugs that would be allowed to delay the
release or result in a package's removal from the release.  Sorry if the
previous mail on this point was unclear.