Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
> No, it doesn't say that: it says "If in doubt, send mail to -legal". It
> doesn't say "if the license is doubtful", which is a different matter
> entirely.

We've been told "both James and Jeroen extensive contact with
Sun to ensure that the tricky clauses were actually okay."
It looks like someone involved was in doubt, and ignored a
good instruction in debian-policy.  Debian should not rely on
legal advice from the licensor, especially when the licence
clearly says it prevails over other communication from them.
Obtain it and review that advice, yes, but not rely upon it.

I look forward to the end of language lawyering by the usual
culprits and the start of a discussion of how better to avoid
these problems in future.
--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/