Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:41:27AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> > [...] If people have
> > weighed the costs and benefits of contacting -legal and decided not to,
> > that's entirely their choice.
>
> Yes, that package maintainer may choose to ignore all of policy.  It's
> entirely my choice how to respond to that.  Everyone happy with that?

Yes, but policy is generally sensible, edited by DDs, and each change is
carefully vetted.

debian-legal, OTOH, claims that not only is the stock MIT/X11 licence
'non-free', but 'it is impractical to work with such software'.

It is mandated that all Debian packages follow policy.  It is no more
mandated that developers run everything past -legal, than that they
run every change they make past #debian-devel.