Re: Who can make binding legal agreements

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:47:03AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> I am becoming increasingly concerned at the unilateral method in which
> you and/or the archive maintainers have taken this decision.
>
> The ability to enter into a legal contract to indemnify a third party
> should be, and arguably IS, reserved solely for the SPI Board of
> Directors.

If SPI wish to withdraw from their relationship with Debian, then that's
entirely possible to arrange. I don't think it's at all proper that you
try to obtain veto power of Debian's activities as conducted by the duly
authorised members of that organisation.

> SPI projects shouldn't be taking advice from Sun's attorneys.

Debian's relationship with SPI is as a helpful legal entity that allows
us to act in ways we would not be able to do so without it, not as Debian's
governing body.

> And I know you would like me to just go away and shut up about this, but
> this project is too important, and this action has too many unknowns at
> this stage, to just put blind faith in Sun's lawyers doing the right
> thing by Debian.

That would be a fair comment if it was actually what had happened. It's
not.

Cheers,
aj