Re: Package Selection for Debian Live

On 5/30/06, Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net> wrote:
[ crosspost to live, -devel and -edu; replies please to -devel ]

Hi all,

at the moment, we have two types of Live CD images:

  * the small one which contains only packages of standard priority,
  * and three larger ones, each of which contains one of the common
    desktop-environments on it (gnome, kde, xfce).

Now, we would like to create a decent package selection which reflects,
as well as possible, the users' desires. There should be one package
selection for a 700MB CD-ROM, and one for a 4.5GB DVD-ROM. With the
current squashfs compression, the actual filesystem size is about 3
times bigger than the packed one. This means that there can be quite a
few packages on it :) I'm open for your suggestions...
What I'd need on a Live CD-ROM:
* rescue tools:
  - parted
  - fdisk
  - mkfs.*
  - grub
- lvm management tools
* 386 and amd64 kernels on same cdrom (so that I can chroot into
pure64 installations)
* text editor:
  my favourites: vim, jed. (please no flames on this)
* compiler with at least libc-dev, libstdc++-dev
* it should be possible to debootstrap from CD
* networking:
dhcp, rp-pppoe , (nfs,....)
* mc would be nice to have
* if it fits a minimalistic xorg with fluxbox, and gs/ghostview
..... this is just a quick list I've come up with, I'm sure there is
plenty more that would be needed.

of course on the dvd I'd like to see openoffice.

Which packages of the above are currently on the live CD?

Regards,
Edwin