Re: Red team attacks vs. cracking

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 12:20:14PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Even the guy at 7-Eleven has the big book of north american ID cards with
> pictures and descriptions of what makes a real one for when they encounter an
> ID that they've never seen before.  Surely Debian can do as well as the guy
> selling cigarettes and beer at the 7-Eleven when it comes to verification...

How can you check if an ID card is real based only on what is written
on the card, even if it has all the hallmarks mentioned in that book?

See, if you visit a bazaar, I bet a helpful guy with a Russian accent
can sell you a perfectly valid passport for less than $50.  Several
years ago, a friend of mine actually asked someone at the Stadion
10-lecia in Warsaw, and was led to a guy with a number of blank Polish
IDs for ~$25 each...

That's about what checking government-issued IDs is worth.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be