Re: Multiarch preparations needed for etch dpkg

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 01:07:01AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:07:00AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> Only the "dpkg:arch" is required and that can be done with "Provides:
> >> dpkg-arch" again.

> > Right.  I wonder if even this should strictly be necessary, though, or if
> > dpkg shouldn't be able to provide the needed features for build-essential in
> > any architecture version...

> The problem is that dpkg has the default architecture hardcoded in the
> binary and that can't be changed without large side effects.

> If we allow an amd64 dpkg to behave like an i386 dpkg then I bet
> people will start messing things up and build i386 debs on amd64
> systems and complain why they can't build amd64 debs.

> Keeping the architecture hardcoded in dpkg and have the architecture
> of the dpkg (dpkg-dev?) package decide what architecture to build for
> seems a simple solution.

> But that is just me. And I'm also to lazy to dig through dpkg source
> to make it provide the same behaviour for any arch.

Well, since the whole reason we would need to declare a dpkg-dev:arch
dependency is that dpkg-dev is *not* going to be a multiarch package, having
such a dependency makes it impossible for (e.g.) build-essential:i386 and
build-essential:amd64 to be co-installable, right?  That seems unfortunate
to me.

Assuming no one comes up with a brilliant^Wcrazy plan to make dpkg-dev
autoselect the default architecture based on something like the Linux
personality, I would figure that the sensible thing here is to require
anyone trying to build packages for a non-default arch to declare this arch
using the -a option to dpkg-buildpackage.